Wednesday, September 18, 2019
Holiday Inn, 215 Sunnyside Blvd., Plainview, NY
7:00 - 11:00 PM
3 Contact Hours
James Schiffer is an Associate with Allegaert Berger & Vogel, LLC.(No conflict of interest determined by peer review of the slide content.)
Carlos Aquino is the Founder and President of PharmaDiversions, LLC. (No conflict of interest determined by peer review of the slide content.)
Compliance Update for the Pharmacist 2019
At the completion of this activity, the participant will be able to:
- Identify the 8 basic audit target issues that the commercial PBM auditors are focusing on; Identify the various state and federal websites available to review the status of medical providers, pharmacists and pharmacy staff for exclusions, debarment's and/ or disqualifications as health care providers;
- Identify the significance of confirming the proper billing codes and related procedure codes regarding billings for state and federal prescription plans, regarding rebates earned through OBRA 90, as well as supplementary manufacturer rebate programs as established under the Affordable Care Act;
- Identify the role of the Department of Health and Human Services Office of Inspector General (OIG) in the oversight of health care providers in prescriptions dispensed to Medicare and Medicaid Patients and related federally funded Rx programs;
- Identify the need for the dispensing pharmacist’s corresponding responsibility in confirming the legitimacy of any prescription for a controlled drug;
- Identify the various DEA Red Flag Rules which help guide pharmacists in decision making in dispensing controlled drugs;
- Identify the responsibility of the pharmacist/pharmacy owner to report controlled substances shortages to the Drug Enforcement Administration and understand the penalties for failure to timely comply with such responsibility.
0170-9999-19-056-L03-P / 3 Contact Hours / Initial release date 9/11/2019 / Knowledge Based Activity
The Pharmacists Society of the State of New York is accredited by the Accreditation Council for Pharmacy Education as a provider of continuing pharmacy education.
PSSNY's education staff declares no conflicts of interest or financial interest in any product or service mentioned in this program, including grants, employment, gifts, stock holdings, and honoraria.